Everyone knows that the best way to re-imagine an amazing drink is to turn it into an amazing cupcake. An Irish Whiskey with Ginger cupcake, to be specific!
Chop candied ginger; make cupcake batter; bake cupcakes. Prepare icing and ice cupcakes; top with lime zest.
Make It Your Own:
– Use a different liquor — rum, bourbon, tequila …
– Instead of candied ginger, use other dried fruits — apricots, raisins, apples
– Use a boxed white cake mix. Substitute 1/2 the water for whisky, add a teaspoon of ginger, mix in chopped candied ginger.
When I started thinking about what I wanted to make to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year, my mind kept drifting back to the days a few years ago that my husband and I spent in Ireland. There were so many amazing parts of that experience that I could recreate … shepherds pie, something with Baileys Irish Cream, something green … but when I really thought about it, my favorite discovery, apart from the music that seems to fill every nook and cranny of the country, was the refreshing drink of Jameson with ginger and lime. And everyone knows that the best way to re-imagine an amazing drink is to turn it into an amazing cupcake. An Irish Whiskey with Ginger cupcake, to be specific!
These cupcakes come together quickly, are dotted with sparkling bites of sharp and sweet candied ginger, and topped with a creamy whiskey and lime icing. In short – it’s the perfect embodiment of that refreshing drink.
Irish Whiskey and Ginger Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 48 grams Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (1/2 small box)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Irish Whiskey (such as Jameson Irish Whiskey)
- 2 oz Candied Ginger, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake pan with 10 cupcake liners, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light.
- Add eggs, and mix until will incorporated.
- Add in flour, pudding mix, baking powder, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add in vegetable oil and whiskey and mix until batter is light and creamy. Add in chopped candied ginger and stir to combine.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Cool completely before icing with Whiskey Lime Icing (recipe below)
- And here’s the video!
Whiskey Lime Icing
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 cups Icing Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Irish Whiskey (like Jamesons Irish Whiskey)
- pinch Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Zest
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, cream butter until very light. Add icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating 3-4 minutes between each addition. After all the sugar has been mixed in, add in the heavy cream, whiskey, and salt. Continue mixing until icing is very light, fluffy, and creamy. Add in lime zest and continue mixing until thoroughly incorporated.
Irish whiskey and ginger cupcakes